Search Our Catalog

Winter Park History Home
Collection Overview
Digital Collections
Founders of Winter Park
History For Kids
Smith Grant Information
In the works

 
    Search Winter Park History
 

All Saints Episcopal Church

The beginnings of All Saints Episcopal Church trace back to 1883. William E. Comstock, one of the original settlers of Winter Park, was instrumental in organizing services of the Church. With the aid of Dr. and Mrs. Charles Switzer, Mrs. Molly Stovin, Mary Brown, and Mary McClure, Mr. Comstock began Morning Prayer services in an upstairs room over a grocery store.

In 1938, architect Ralph Adams Cram was chosen to design and build a new church building. In 1940, the present plan was adopted and a fund drive was undertaken. The church would be located at 338 East Lyman Avenue. On December 23, 1941, the cornerstone was laid; on Palm Sunday, March 29, 1942, opening services were held.

The vestry and congregation worked with great zeal to retire the debt on the church. On Easter, April 6, 1947, they all celebrated the consecration of the Church.

On January 7, 2000, All Saintsí Episcopal Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.


All Saints' Episcopal Church circa 1886.

Item: Postcard
Description: All Saints Episcopal Church

Date: c.1886

All Saints'Episcopal Church.

Item: Postcard
Description: All Saints Episcopal Church

Date: undated

All Saints' Episcopal Church circa 1942

Item: Postcard
Description: All Saints Episcopal Church

Date: c.1942




ARCHIVIST
Barbara White, MLIS
E-mail: bwhite@wppl.org
Phone: (407) 623-3300 ext. 106

ARCHIVE HOURS
Hours vary.
Please call for an appointment.

Copyright (C) 2014 Winter Park Public Library. All rights reserved.
Winter Park Public Library -- 460 E. New England Ave.-- Winter Park, FL 32789 -- (407) 623-3300.